Internet of Things in agriculture
Smart agriculture is a technological smart industry which needs major investment and is going to instantly produce large amount of food with the least waste of it.
In fact, smart agriculture is using the newest technologies in the world, in the field of agriculture. Usage of IoT in agriculture is only a part of smart agriculture.
In smart agriculture based on Internet of Things, we have a specific system to monitor and control the agriculture land. This system informs us integrated information via sensors such as light, humidity and temperature. Irrigation of agriculture land will be automatically.
Farmers are able to monitor their land remotely. Agriculture system based on IoT could be used not only in traditional agriculture and large scale, but in small, organic and modern farms.
IoT is increasingly used in agriculture. Business Insider Intelligence predicted that until 2020number of agriculture land equipped with IoT will be 75 million with 20 percent annual growth. Furthermore, it was predicted that smart agriculture market volume reaches 15.3 billion dollars until 2025 which was 5 billion dollars in 2016.
Businesses are able to optimize their function via IoT and reach to the below goals easier:
- To reduce function expenses
- To increase efficiency
- To expand market and supply new products
Today industries and businesses increasingly utilize Internet of Things to operate more efficiently. IoT achievements will help organizations to better understand client and services that customer needs.
IoT improves decision making process in organization and optimize business value.
Internet of Things improves agriculture through 5 methods:
- Collecting data via different sensors: sensors which control weather condition, soil quality, product growth and other factors are highly significant. Data collected by such sensor inform us regarding land condition, personnel function and efficiency of equipment.
- More effective control over internal process and to decrease production risk: to predict production condition and estimate product volume is a precious help. Precise information regarding product volume and specification will prevent failure to sell products.
- Expense management and decrease volume of waste: It can prevent large failure by in time control over production volume in every stages and by checking the product safety.
- To increase efficiency by process automation: Different processes such as irrigation, fertilization and spraying can be done automatically via IoT.
- To increase volume and quality of products: by automated plough and harvest process and by monitoring the production process, it is possible to increase volume and quality of products.
Our imagination about traditional agriculture will seem a story very soon, for the reason that agriculture has become a modern and mechanized industry. Agriculture in large scale, seeder and harvest machines are part of semi-automated process of agriculture. Such processes are managed by human at the moment, however, fully automatic machines in this field have been used for a long time.
IoT can be used in precision agriculture with related sensors. Consumers can utilize such equipment too.
Soil sensors that are controlled remotely and work via battery, collect information about Nitrogen volume and report that periodical.
Irrigation sensors measure soil humidity and adjust irrigation system automatically. Floodwater sensors control water level and are able to send email and close the irrigation windows when flowages is more than normal. Freeze sensors have the ability to warn farmers when freezing is possible.
Smart buildings utilize home Wifi for pouring water controller in fire alarm system which is accessible via smart phone. It is also used for controlling irrigation intensity and schedule.